Equality in Tourism is collaborating with the Spanish NGO CIC Batá to develop a report that will enable a better understanding of the real impacts of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) on gender equality, and act as a tool for change.
This collaboration has been prompted by the UN World Tourism Organisation’s (UNWTO) launch of the Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development (YSTD) in line with the SDGs.
We very much want to reflect the real impacts and challenges of the SDGs and YSTD in relation to gender equality – which is at the core of sustainable development in tourism. The objective of our report, SDGs, Tourism and Gender: Foundation and Recommendations for Education and Raising Awareness, will be to encourage real and effective integration of the gender perspective into sustainable tourism within the framework of the SDGs. With this report we want to reinforce the message that sustainable development is not possible without gender equality. It will act as a key tool for capacity building and for the practical adoption of the gender perspective.
A REQUEST FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTION
We would like to develop this report with your voice and experience – this context will provide the framework for the report. We have prepared five questions to help us understand your approach to these issues. The responses to the questions must be returned to us by Sunday, 13 August.
The questions are:
- What do you think has been achieved in tourism in relation to gender equality and women´s empowerment with the SDGs?
- Do you know of any direct positive impacts for gender equality and women´s empowerment related to the YSTD? Any projects? Conferences? Working papers?
- What do you think about the gender approach of the YSTD?
- What needs to be done in your specific context to achieve gender equality in tourism? Would you like to share any proposals? What are the concrete challenges to be dealt with?
- How do you think international organizations, such as UNWTO, should cover gender equality in SDGs+Tourism?
COULD WE INTERVIEW YOU?
If you would like to go into more detail or maybe tell us a bit more about an example of best practice, an idea or project, I would be very happy to arrange an online interview. This would have to take place in the first three weeks of August.
For more information please contact Dr Daniela Moreno Alarcón at email@example.com
We have recently published our official response to the UNWTO’s Discussion Paper: http://cf.cdn.unwto.org/sites/all/files/pdf/iy2017_discussion_paper_executive_summary_en.pdf