Our vision: Gender equality in the global tourism industry
To drive change in the development and practice of global tourism by empowering women through the involvement of local communities and by engaging stakeholders at every level.
Tourism can create positive change in communities if all members enjoy equal access to the industry and its benefits. The way that the tourism industry operates magnifies the disadvantages and constraints that women face in their lives. Furthermore, gender inequality significantly undermines the potential of the industry. We believe that our work helps ensure women enjoy an equal share in the global tourism industry.
- Be a leader in thought, research and practice for women’s equality in the tourism sector worldwide
- Lobby the public, private and third sectors to recognise their obligations to gender equality, and support them in meeting their objectives.
- Engender accountability within tourism stakeholders for greater commitment to gender equality principles as laid out in the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals
- Stimulate policy changes to improve the lives and livelihoods of women and their communities
- Identify and promote best practices in gender equality around the world, transferring and exchanging knowledge, skills and expertise among tourism and development stakeholders.
- Identify and nourish links between civil society organisations involved in tourism, gender equality and human rights.
Having a common purpose in working towards gender equality and women’s empowerment in tourism is at the core of our work. Our strength as an organisation lies in the diverse set of experiences and skills which our directors and associates bring to our projects. We address the issue of gender equality in the tourism industry through the following services and activities:
- Establishing and developing a global network of individuals – academics, field workers, activists and politicians – with a shared interest in gender equality and women’s empowerment and a common purpose to address them
- Providing consultation services for organisations and institutions to ensure sustainable and gender equal tourism development initiatives
- Training and educating stakeholders on the critical importance of women’s participation in decision-making processes and policy formulation in tourism development
- Promoting the link between gender equality in tourism and sustainable development
- Raising awareness of the real life challenges the tourism industry creates for women
- Enabling women to benefit from the tourism industry both directly and indirectly